William L. Clements Library
Creating a U-M Friend Account to Register
Through U-M guest accounts, or "Friend" accounts, users can obtain a username and set a password for limited access to the U-M computing environment.
After you create a password for your Friend account, use the "Account Login" link at the top of the website to finish your Clements Library registration. You must log in to accept our terms and conditions in order to complete your registration. You can then submit requests to view Clements materials in our Avenir Reading Room.
How to Set Up a U-M Friend Account
- First, you need to have an email address that does not end in "umich.edu."
- Next, visit the Request a Friend Account page: https://friend.weblogin.umich.edu/friend
- In the Your email address box, enter your full email address (your email address will be your login ID), and then click Request.
- You'll get a confirmation showing that your Friend account request has been submitted. A message has been sent to the email address you provided with further instructions. Check your email!
- Log into your email account to see the U-M Friend Account Request email.
- The email contains a link. Click the Create Friend Account link in the message to go to a web page where you will continue to create your Friend account. If you don't see the message, check your spam or junk folder.
- In the Your email address box, type your full email address. Choose a password to enter in the Password box, then retype it to confirm in the Re-enter password box. Click Set Password.
- You will get a confirmation email when your Friend account has been created.
- Once you have a U-M Friend account, you must use the "Account Login" link at the top of the Clements Library website to complete your registration. Use your Friend account email and password to log in, then fill out the registration form and accept our terms and conditions to finish registering. Once you have completed that step, you are ready to begin requesting Clements Library collections.
If you have any questions about this process, please Ask a Curator.