Clements Library Schedule Updates
Along with the rest of the University of Michigan community, the Clements Library has adjusted our activities in line with public health measures and U-M policy related to COVID-19. For the most recent university-wide updates, please visit U-M’s COVID-19 information website.
Clements Access for U-M Community
For all researchers, we are happy to schedule a video consultation instead of a visit to the library. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a consultation.
The Clements Library is now open by appointment only for U-M faculty, students, and staff. Please use this link to request an appointment.
To keep our visitors and staff safe, and to comply with state law and university regulations, the Clements has instituted the following procedures for using the reading room in person.
Clements Visiting and Research Procedures
- All visitors must wear a mask in the building at all times; if you do not have a mask, we will provide one for you.
- In-person viewing of our archives is limited to members of the University faculty, staff and students at this time.
- Our standard reading room rules remain in effect for research visits.
- We will not have face-to-face archivist consultation in the Reading Room. If you need research assistance, please schedule a video consultation or email our Reference staff prior to your library appointment.
- We are open by appointment only, from 9:30am-12:00pm and 1:00 pm-3:30 pm on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. It is possible to request appointments for multiple days in one week, though we may ask researchers to limit their number of appointments if there is high demand. A Clements staff member will confirm your appointment time with you.
- We will limit appointments to a single researcher at a time for the present.
- Researchers must request material at least 3 business days prior to their appointment using their Clements research account. When filling out our appointment form, please specify four boxes or five books that you will use per visit. We will not retrieve additional materials on-demand as we have in the past.
- Please bring your own laptop/tablet, pencils, materials to take notes on, etc. This will help us clean and sanitize the reading room between researcher visits.
- Please bring a completed ResponsiBlue screening check to show to staff through our outer doors when you arrive (we will not keep your ID as we have in the past). We will open the door for you; our outer doors will remain locked for safety.
- Those with personal items not allowed in the reading room (coats, bags, food or drink, etc.) will be able to leave them on a cart outside of the Reading Room.
- We request that researchers wash their hands before beginning their research.
- Staff will disinfect tables, chair arms, and other high touch surfaces between researcher visits. Material will be rested for 3 days before it can be used again.
The library’s Reference department will continue to receive and respond to remote requests from researchers who are not affiliated with the University, but our ability to check our physical collections remains limited and it may take us a while to respond. To make a remote research request, please email email@example.com.