A History of Collecting at the Clements Library, 1903-2019
Collecting the Clements Library, 1903-2016
This semi-permanent exhibit tells the story of the growth of the collections at the Clements Library from William L. Clements’ first significant acquisition in 1903 to the current day. Since the Clements Library’s opening in 1923, the collections have expanded significantly through careful purchases and generous donations. New subject strengths have emerged, shaped in part by trends in scholarship, the availability of materials, and the influence and initiatives of Clements Library Directors.
The exhibit includes examples from the Clements Library’s collections spanning the course of its collecting history. The selections are changed periodically to highlight the breadth and depth of the Library’s extraordinary collection.