Because the Clements Library’s copy of the second edition belonged to Samson Occom (1723-1792). A member of the Mohegan nation in what is now Connecticut, Occom converted to Christianity during the Great Awakening of the 1740s, and studied with the Congregational minister Eleazar Wheelock, and eventually learned Latin, Greek, and Hebrew. Ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1759, Occom worked as a missionary to numerous Native communities, most notably the Montauk and the Six Nations. This particular copy has rich stories to tell, stories that we are only beginning to understand, as scholars are conducting new work on the Indigenous world of print in early America. Occom sold his copy of the Bible–likely the only copy of the Bible that he owned printed in his native language–to a man named Thomas Shaw in 1790, who then donated it to Yale University. Tracing the life history of this landmark work in the effort to Christianize Native Americans, and learning more about what role it played in the career of the most famous Native American Christian minister in 18th century America, is an example of the new scholarship that can grow out of items that have been in the library’s collection for a century.